Monday, January 25, 2010

Talking a Bath - Mason Williams

I liked that,
Sitting on the bathroom floor,
Watching you take a bath,
Talking to you.

I stuck my hand
In the water and slowly
Moved my fingers along
The softness of your thigh.

I took handfuls of water,
Spilled them over your
Milk and silken shoulders,
Enjoying the gentle
Sensuousness of your skin
Slick with water.

You had your hair pinned up
In lovely disorder
To keep from getting it wet.
And you played as you talked,
Little splashes
With your fingertips.

Talking a bath,
I liked that,
And I don't even remember
Anything we said.

1 comment:

angryexwife said...

My friend, Kathy, with whom I attended Wolter's elementary school, had the coolest older sister named Jen. Jen would take us on the occasional excursion to Penny Candy when it was still located on Cedar, across from the high jump court at Fresno State. If I had cash I would buy little glass test tubes full of 'love beads'. We'd string them on dental floss and add a peace sign charm. Those hippie necklaces were the height of fashion at the time. Once, while looking at the books, I found a copy of Mason Williams' 'A Reading Matter'. It was a wry and witty book of poetry, with adult (although not terribly explicit) themes. I was only ten years old but I loved that book! After saving for a month I finally had enough money to buy it. Oh, how those poems tickled my mind. I knew that I was reading some exciting stuff, harbingers of experiences that were still beyond me, but upon which I was creeping fast. One poem, titled 'Talking A Bath' described the intense love and satisfaction a man feels while sitting on the bathroom floor, conversing with his beloved while she bathes. Heady stuff! Anyhow, my teacher found the book in my desk during a parent-teacher conference with my mom. Those ladies couldn't decide if they were more scandalized or confused! What was I doing with such a book!? They didn't confiscate it, but they did rip out 'Talking A Bath'. I still have that book, 52 years later, and the love bead necklace as well.